Vinings, Smyrna, and the greater Atlanta, Georgia, area are full of allergens, especially from spring to fall. Unfortunately, our pets are not spared! They, too, can be allergic to many of the same things we are. Cat and dog allergies cause itchy, irritated skin that drives them to scratch themselves raw. At Paces Ferry Veterinary Clinic, our pet dermatology services help to relieve the itch, so your pet can feel good in their own skin again!
Think your pet has allergies? Let’s find out, so we can get them relief.
Dog and Cat Allergy Symptoms & Causes
Allergy symptoms for pets often include:
- Cat or dog scratching excessively
- Cat over-grooming
- Red, irritated looking skin
- Dry, flaky skin
- Hair loss
- Frequent ear infections
- Vomiting/diarrhea, in the case of food allergies
- Runny nose
Pet allergies can be caused by inhalant or contact allergens in the environment, as well as food allergens. Some of the more common allergens include:
- Pollens from flowers, grasses, trees, etc.
- Dust and dust mites
- Insect bites (particularly fleas)
- Materials like rubber or plastics
- Household cleaners
- Food ingredients (i.e. beef, poultry, pork, eggs, dairy, etc.)
Diagnosing Your Pet's Allergies
Many of the symptoms of allergies are similar to those of other diseases. We’ll run extensive diagnostics in-house including blood work and cytology (skin) tests to rule out an underlying disease or parasites.
Managing Dog and Cat Allergies
Unfortunately, allergies cannot be cured, only managed. Veterinary medicine has come a long way in dermatology, and we’re now able to offer effective relief for itchy dogs and cats. Some of our management options include:
- Cytopoint, an injectable for dogs that controls the itch for 4-8 weeks
- Apoquel, a daily oral tablet for dogs
- Atopica, a daily oral tablet for dogs and oral solution for cats
- Medicated shampoos, which help relieve discomfort and remove any allergens from the coat
- Topical creams to relieve itchiness
- Antibiotics to treat any secondary bacterial infections in open wounds caused by scratching
- Antifungal to treat any secondary fungal infections in open wounds caused by scratching
- Elimination diet to determine the cause of food allergies
Our veterinarians will work with you to develop a personalized allergy management solution for your pet. It may include one or a combination of the above treatments. If you think your pet is suffering from allergies, please contact us today at (770) 436-9822 so we can get them the relief they deserve!
There are not enough words to express how amazing this Veterinary Clinic is. The level of service we have received is just outstanding, I just cannot even put into words how thankful I am that I walked into their office. This will be our go to vet in the future for all our needs and I highly recommend them to anyone!
- Britney B.
Taken my little fluff ball, Otto, here twice and Dr. Mackey is amazing. First time I took him for routine vaccinations and the second was because my little Malshipoo was having some illness concerns. I called at 8:10, I had an appointment an hour later. I'm seriously considering bringing Otto here for any grooming or extra care from now on. It's worth every penny.
- Craig M.
I have a 4 yo male German Shepherd who is well behaved but very high energy. Everyone at Paces Ferry Vet Clinic treated him like he was their own dog. The techs were super nice, made sure to give him real attention and affection to help keep him relaxed. Dr. Mackey was awesome, also taking extra time to help ease his anxiety. I can't say enough good things about the experience! Paces Ferry Vet Clinic has earned a patient for life!
- Dre G.
The staff is always very nice, professional and excited to welcome us into the clinic. They have helped us many times when we were concerned about our dog....now 2 dogs. I have the upmost trust that our dogs will get the best care and we will get the best information on how to proceed should any problem arise.